Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy NOW 2015
Getting to Grips with Society's Ills: A Psychoanalytic Perspective
A day of thought-provoking presentations, workshops and debates on innovations in psychoanalytic psychotherapy: bridging the clinical and academic study of psychoanalytic psychotherapy with political discourse and social policy. This year’s PP NOW conference will address the themes of Conflict, Poverty and Trauma, showcasing the impact that psychodynamic and psychoanalytic thinking can bring to a better understanding of some of the major social issues affecting society today.
George Monbiot (author and Guardian journalist) will be presenting at the Friday night public lecture with panel members Nick Pearce (Institute for Public Policy Research) and Julian Lousada (Psychoanalyst and BPC Chair) Venue: Tuke Hall, Regent's University, London.
Booking for the Friday evening PP NOW Lecture here
PP NOW will be held at the Holiday Inn, Kensington Forum, London on Saturday 6 June, preceded by the public lecture on Friday 5 June at Tuke Hall, Regent's University. The Holiday Inn Kensington is conveniently located near Gloucester Road underground station.
PP NOW Conference - Provisional Programme
Coffee and Registration
Welcome and introduction: Gary Fereday, Chief Executive, British Psychoanalytic Council.
Keynote Session: A Psychological Look at Terrorism
The plenary presentation will illustrate the psychology of an “encapsulated” religious fundamentalism, the story of a religious cult. Using this story as a stepping stone Dr Volkan examines the psychology of “globalized” extreme fundamentalist religious terrorism. focusing on the fusion of individual and large-group identities and how people can exhibit extreme sadism and masochism under the impact of large-group identity.
Keynote speaker: Vamik Volkan, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry, University of Virginia
Coffee break (tea and coffee available all day)
1. Social disorder, Marginalisation and Gang Culture Paul Kassman Jean Knox
2. Domestic Violence and Hateful Relationships Anna Motz Joanna Rosenthall
3. Psychotic Systems Clare Gerada Julian Lousada
4. Emotional Poverty Sue Gerhardt Graham Music
1. Antisocial Personality Disorder - New Directions Gill McGauley Jessica Yakeley
2. Perversion, Violence and Criminality - Child sexual abuse Jon Brown Estela Welldon
3. Poverty and the Psychological Impact of Money Karl Figlio
4. War and Modern Conflict Philip Spencer Vamik Volkan
Closing Plenary: Panel discussion reflecting on the key themes of the day and dialogue with the audience With panel members Julian Lousada and Jean Knox.
Reception and Awards Ceremony Presentation of the PP NOW 2015 Awards
- Innovative Excellence Award
- Outstanding Professional Leadership Award
- Bernard Ratigan Award for Psychoanalysis and Diversity
Payment and Registration Methods for the PP NOW Conference
- Book online using PayPal for the PP NOW conference here
- Book online using debit or credit cards please click here
- If paying by cheque or BACS, please download the registration form here
- Payment can also be made over the phone using a credit or debit card, contact BPC office 0207 561 9240.
Download a registration form here or click here to pay online via PayPal.
Using the PayPal payment option on this page incurs a surcharge to cover PayPal’s processing fees, reflected in the rates given here.